Running Away From Police, Driver Killed and Injured Other Drivers


An April 2019 CARSCOOPS reports that “A man has been killed and six others injured after a driver suspected of DUI who was attempting to flee from the police crashed his Dodge Challenger into two other cars in Atlanta”. The driver of the Challenger, Kahre Williams, was later detained. According to the media, “Williams refused a blood test”.

Georgia only has a few big cities, but they’re so big that car crashes are a regular and tragic occurrence. Unfortunately, about one-third of accidents in the United States happen because of drunk driving. According to the CDC, there is one death every 53 minutes in the United States due to a drunk driver. If you are involved in an accident with a driver who is clearly over the legal limit, you may feel a multitude of emotions.


What should we do?

  1. Contact the Police Immediately. If there are serious injuries, call 911. You need to get the guilty driver’s offense on the record; Because he or she is likely to be charged with a crime, that criminal charge could help strengthen your civil claim. If the drunk driver fled the scene, you still must contact the police. Provide them with as much information as you can – such as the make, model, and color of the vehicle, or even a license plate number, if available. Any additional information provided to police can greatly assist you when filing a claim or suit in the future.
  2. Get Medical Help. Even if you do not have injuries that require emergency medical care, you still need to seek a full medical evaluation. Many drivers are unable to detect injuries at the scene due to fear, endorphins or shock. Medical attention can help establish your injuries, but also save your life. Often, there are serious injuries that can be unseen to the naked eye, but identified through advanced medical imaging.
  3. Gather as Much Evidence as You Can. Depending on your injuries, you may or may not  be able to gather all of the following evidence. (Do not hesitate to ask a loved one to assist you with gathering the following if you are unable):
    1. Photographs of the accident scene – including damage to your vehicle and the other vehicle; copies of the police report;
    2. Photographs of your injuries
    3. Names and phone numbers of any witness at the scene
    4. Copies or insurance information of all parties; and
    5. Criminal citations issued to any party involved.
  4. Contact an expert personal injury attorney. An accident attorney can help you in gathering the necessary evidence to prove that the other driver was under the influence. Because drunk driving is a form of negligence, that driver could be civilly liable for your damages – including lost wages, medical costs (past, current, and future) associated with the accident, as well as your pain and suffering. Additionally, punitive damages (money awarded to punish the wrongdoers and deter others) may be available in your case that only an experienced personal injury attorney can assist you obtain.


Experienced Georgia DUI Accident Lawyers Seeking Justice for Victims in Jonesboro, Augusta, Atlanta, Riverdale, Morrow, and Stockbridge T. Madden & Associates, P.C. is an aggressive Georgia personal injury law firm. We take a proactive, compensation-oriented approach to auto accident litigation. In other words, we fight to get your money, and we fight hard.

Never settle for less than you deserve. You might be entitled to significant financial compensation, and it won’t cost you anything upfront to pursue it. Remember: You don’t have to pay us unless we got your money! There’s really nothing to lose. Isn’t it in your best interest to at least talk it over with our office before you make a decision?

We are happy to offer you a free case consultation. There’s no charge and no obligation, just honest feedback to help you make a decision and understand your rights.

To contact our Atlanta car crash lawyers, call 770-756-9311.

To contact our Augusta car accident lawyers, call 706-524-7784.


If you are living elsewhere in Georgia (or were injured while visiting our state), please feel free to call either number. You can also visit our offices or simply contact us online. We are here to help.


About the author

T. Madden and Associates, P.C.

Leave a Comment